- "Belief is not a matter of choice, but of conviction."
- ―Jedi Fortune Cookie
"Rising Malevolence" is the second episode of the first season of Star Wars: The Clone Wars. It is the second episode of the series overall. It was released in tandem with "Ambush" on October 3, 2008 on Cartoon Network.
An attack by a devastating new Separatist weapon leaves Jedi Master Plo Koon and his clone troopers struggling to survive until Anakin and Ahsoka can find them.
Jedi Master Plo Koon locates a new Separatist warship in the Abregado System and commands his Republic fleet to attack it, after contacting Anakin Skywalker and Ahsoka Tano. Unaware of the power this ship possesses, Plo Koon's fleet is quickly taken down, with most of the crew dead or helpless inside of an Escape Pod.
General Grievous, who is commanding the new CIS flagship known as the Malevolence, gives the order to kill any remaining Republic forces. With Plo Koon and several Clones inside of an escape pod, they wait hopeful for a rescue while Anakin and Ahsoka search for them.
Created and Executive Produced by
Original Star Wars Themes and Score by
- Boost (First appearance)
- Cody (DVD extended version)
- Obi-Wan Kenobi
- Plo Koon
- Rex (DVD extended version) (Appears in hologram)
- Sinker (First appearance)
- Anakin Skywalker
- Ahsoka Tano
- Mace Windu (Appears in hologram)
- Wolffe (First appearance)
- Yoda (Appears in hologram)
- Wullf Yularen
- Commander Wolffe's clone troopers have stylized wolf muzzles painted on their helmets.
- The entry hatchways to the escape pods aboard the Triumphant have the Republic "cog" logo on it.
- Booster and Sinker's attempt to restart the escape pod's power grid uses dialogue directly lifted from The Empire Strikes Back when Han Solo and Chewbacca are trying to fix the Millennium Falcon.
- The second escape pod, Pod 1977, is named after the release year of the original Star Wars.
- The firing channel shot of the ion cannon is a nod to the shot design of the Death Star firing in Episode IV.
- In the credits, James Arnold Taylor is erroneously listed as portraying 4-A7, who does not appear in this episode.