Against a backdrop of ever-shifting loyalties, uneasy alliances and ancient hostilities, the conflict between the Republic and the Separatists ramps up, setting the stage for Darth Sidious' ultimate act of treachery against the Jedi. In these uncertain times, some of the deepest mysteries of the light and dark sides of the Force are revealed as an intrepid clone trooper uncovers a shocking conspiracy, Anakin Skywalker's closest relationship is tested to its limits, and Master Yoda makes a discovery that could forever change the balance of power in the galaxy.
Season 6 was initially planned to air on Cartoon Network until March of 2013 when it was announced that Disney had cancelled the series. These remaining episodes were finished and released as the series finale, while other unproduced episodes were adapted to Star Wars: The Clone Wars Legacy.
Created and Executive Produced by
Original Star Wars Themes and Score by
The Future of Star Wars: The Clone Wars
Behind the scenes
- Season 6 was first officially announced by Dave Filoni in the Star Wars Insider magazine, though head writer Christian Taylor stated in September 2011 that they had already written through the season.
Release after cancellation
Because of the October 2012 acquisition of Lucasfilm Ltd by The Walt Disney Company, The Clone Wars ended its contract with Cartoon Network, and no information regarding Season Six was released until news came on StarWars.com on March 11, 2013, which stated that no more seasons would air, but individual Clone Wars arcs would be produced as a proper finale to the series, which they only named "Bonus Content."
Initially, it was confirmed that the Bonus Content would consist of two story-arcs, one pertaining to Rush Clovis—originally set for Season 5—and the other pertaining to Clone Trooper Tup killing a Jedi General under mysterious circumstances. It was later announced, by release of another clip, that a third arc would be among the content, delving into the mystery of Jedi Master Sifo-Dyas. Afterwards, an arc pertaining to Yoda was announced, but an interview with Tom Kane stated that the Yoda preview and Sifo-Dyas preview were from the same arc. At the Star Wars: Celebration Europe II convention in Essen, Germany from July 26 to July 28, 2013, Dave Filoni and artist Pablo Hidalgo hinted at a fourth "Bounty Hunter" story-arc to be released as well, which would show the fates of the likes of Boba Fett, Cad Bane, and Aurra Sing. However, this arc ultimately did not appear in the season; scattered reports state that this story was not released due to continuity conflicts with upcoming films.
But on October 11, 2013, Dave Filoni announced on his Facebook page that production for all remaining The Clone Wars episodes had finished and they would all be released, possibly on television, sometime in early 2014. The content was rumored to be released on Apple TV. Filoni also announced that a four-episode arc from Season Six would be adapted into a comic, titled Star Wars: Darth Maul: Son of Dathomir.
On January 16, 2014, Super RTL (a television network in Germany) announced that it would be airing the Season Six episodes on Saturdays starting on February 15. On February 13, Lucasfilm announced that Season Six, along with all seasons prior and the feature film, would be available on Netflix on March 7, 2014 under the name of "The Lost Missions."
- Main article: Star Wars: The Clone Wars The Lost Missions
Star Wars: The Clone Wars The Lost Missions is a two-disc Blu-ray/three-disc DVD box set released on November 11, 2014. It includes:
- Never-before-seen, 16-minute documentary celebrating the entire "Clone Wars" series with riveting behind-the-scenes footage.
- 4 additional unfinished story reels -- Only available to own on Blu-ray!
- A New Direction for Lucasfilm Animation on StarWars.com
- Star Wars:The Clone Wars Preview: Plo Koon's Discovery on StarWars.com
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars' Final Season, "The Lost Missions," to Hit Netflix on March 7
- "SWCE 2013: Opening Day Highlights" ― The Official Star Wars Blog
- Dave Filoni's Facebook Stream
- Exclusive Premiere at SUPER RTL: Sixth season of the animated series "Star Wars: The Clone Wars" German premiere
- Star Wars Insider 148: "Launch Pad"